Many more suggestions for one day and overnight trips
Many websites can help, such as
www.moselland-radtouren.de www.regioradler.de (bike buses)
www.vrt-info.de (Trier region) www.vrminfo.de (Koblenz region)
www.der-takt.de (Rhineland pass) www.mosellandtouristik.de
www.k-d.de (ferries lower Mosel & Rhine)
www.moselrundfahrten.de/en (ferries Middle Mosel)
Rhineland's Mosel River Valley is one of Europe's gems.
Exiting France, the Mosel becomes the border between Luxembourg and Germany then flows past the ancient Roman city of Trier. From Trier the Mosel cuts a winding course for 200 kms through the uplands of the Eifel and Hunsruck regions to meet the Rhine River at Koblenz, just downstream from the famed Rhine Gorges.
The Mosel is one of Europe's great wine growing regions and vineyards cover much of the steep slopes and river banks, as they have for thousands of years.
Zell-Mosel is a leading winemaker town (#2 on the Mosel), with a friendly buzz and lies midway between Trier and Koblenz on a spectacular horse-shoe bend in the river.
The surrounding countryside of Zellerland is one of the most scenic regions of Europe and offers plenty to keep visitors fascinated.
The local area bus timetables cover 160 pages in the Cochem-Zell Verbundfahrplan!
This is daunting so we've summarised here the services that are most convenient to visitors:
* Taste the wines at 40+ winemakers' cellars
* Stroll the Mosel riverbanks, cross to Zell Kaimt on the footbridge and return over the road bridge
* Hike up to Zell's Castle tower, cemetery and vineyard terraces
* Hike up the valley at the back of town, climb the ladders to the Collis Tower lookout
* Stroll downstream 3 km to village of Zell-Merl or 3 km upstream to Briedel
* Cruise the Mosel, upstream to Cochem and downstream to Bernkastel-Kues
* Tractor tours with winemaker
* Cycle the Mosel Radweg (bike path) or try the downhill trails
* Vineyard hikes easy or hard
* Sunday Breakfast-Brunch at Zell's Hotel Schloss (Castle Hotel)
* Friday night tour with Zell's Town Ghost
* Zellerland Erlebnis water park and saunas
* Lots of cafes, restaurants and bars to try
Within 20 kms
* Cruise, ride or hike to picture-postcard village of Beilstein
* Ultra-steep Calmont vineyards and Stuben Abbey ruins
* Traben Trabach township and hike up the old French Fort of Mont Royale
Within 40 kms
* Cruise, bus or rail to grand town of Cochem, chairlift and Cochem Castle
* Rail to Moselkern village and hike to Burg Eltz fairytale castle
* Bernkastel Kues township and Castle
* Explore the scenic Hunrsuck and Eifel Plateaus